One among the many culinary offerings from New York is their pizza. First off before you go about looking for a piece you can chew on, you have to know how to go about asking for it. You don’t want to make an order and give yourself away as a new comer. To begin with you don’t ask for a piece but a slice of pizza. Secondly, you either order to stay or take away rather than ask for something ‘for here or to go.’
These are just the little tit bits that pizza buffs in New York have to know to get around with much more ease. However, there is a lot more to learn about this style of pizza than what to say when you want to carry your food to eat at home.
Yep, there are basics to making New York style pizza just as there are basics to making plane engine, or anything else for that matter. Typically the pie is large, around 14-18 inches. It is, as aforementioned, sold by the slice. These are flat and foldable thanks to their great width. It is a very thin pie made from high-gluten flour and has a thin crust too. The cheese of choice almost universally for this kind of pizza is mozzarella, evenly spread over it. A little bit of oregano is used for seasoning but a healthy serving of tomato sauce is what really garnishes this pizza.
Your typical New York pizza aficionado will tell you that the pizza has to go through a brick oven. This is mostly because back in the early 20th century, Gennaro Lombardi made the first pizzas in New York in the same way. The oven gives it a nice golden brown with little dark patches here and there, which a pizzaiolo will tell you ‘gives it character.
How To Make New York Style Pizza
New York Pizza with Chia Seeds Crust
Now we all know that Pizza is not the most healthy food so if you want to be healthy and still enjoy a delicious new york style pizza there is an alternative. Here’s how you can make a high fiber crust topped with the superfood Chia Seeds. Chia seeds is high in fiber, protein and omega 3.
The Chia Seeds will give you a nice extra crunch to the crust and since this dough will be baked without yeast it will take less time to make. Don’t worry, the dough will still taste just like a normal pizza. Let’s get started!
This recipe will give 4 servings. That’s about 8 slices and it will only take 45 minutes.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE DOUGH
- 2 1/2 cups white whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- (Make it extra healthy by adding some Pine Pollen as well. Pine Pollen is a great natural testosterone booster that increases your energy levels and decrease obesity)
- Start by Preheating your oven to 400 degrees (200 celcius).
- Grab a medium bowl and mix the flour, baking powder, chia seeds, garlic powder, salt and basil (add Pine Polen here if you like).
- Now you add the oil and warm water. Mix it up nicely with a spoon.
- Spread out the mixture on a flat floured surface
Put the mixture on a clean, floured surface, and work the mixture until you get a nice dough. Do this for about 2 minutes. With a rolling pin, roll out the dough to a round pizza shape.
- Spray some olive oil in a pizza pan and place the dough on the pan. Form a crust with your hands by rolling in and pinching the dough.
- Put the pan into the oven and cook the crust for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the dough looks dry.
- Take out the pan add and all the topping, then bake for another 8 to 12 minutes.
Here are nutrition facts for the dough
This is a great way to include some of your favorite foods and still keep a healthy lifestyle. Want to know more about the benefits of chia seeds and pine pollen, and where you can buy them? Read more about these raw superfoods here: